American Ales: American Amber/Red Ale
More of a Pacific Northwest style that has more body and caramel flavors than an APA. Usually more malt flavor comes through but some can be hoppy. Citrus hops aroma are the norm but not necessary. Clear, good head and retention with amber to ruby brown coloring. A medium bodied beer with ample carbonation.
- Color: Amber to reddish-brown
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures
- Malt Profile: Medium-high to high maltiness with low to medium caramel character
- Hop Profile: Low to medium-low, exhibiting a wide range of attributes
- Bitterness: Medium to medium-high
- Fermentation: Fruity esters, if present, are low. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at very low levels.
- Body: Medium to medium-high
Original Gravity °P:
Final Gravity °P:
Style info provided entirely or in part by the Brewers Association 2021 beer style guidelines.
73 American Amber/Red Ale Reviewed