Belgian and French Ales: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Notes: These beers are often (though not always) brewed with dark Belgian candy sugar. Herbs and spices are sometimes used to delicately ﬂavor these strong ales. These beers are typically well attenuated with a deceptive alcoholic strength.
- Color: Amber to very dark
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures
- Malt Profile: Medium to high malt aroma and complex fruity aromas are distinctive. Medium to high malt intensity can be rich, creamy and sweet. Fruity complexity along with soft roasted malt ﬂavor adds distinct character.
- Hop Profile: Low to medium
- Bitterness: Low to medium
- Fermentation: Yeast-derived phenolic spicy ﬂavors and aromas are present at low to medium-low levels. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at very low levels.
- Body: Medium to full
Original Gravity °P:
Final Gravity °P:
Style info provided entirely or in part by the Brewers Association 2021 beer style guidelines.
16 Belgian Dark Strong Ale Reviewed