English Ales: Ordinary Bitter
Notes: When using these guidelines as the basis for evaluating entries at competitions, competition organizers may choose to create subcategories which reflect English and American hop character.
- Color: Gold to copper-colored
- Clarity: Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures
- Malt Profile: Low to medium residual malt sweetness should be present
- Hop Profile: Very low to medium-low
- Bitterness: Medium
- Fermentation: Mild carbonation traditionally characterizes draft-cask versions, but in bottled versions, a slight increase in carbon dioxide content is acceptable. Fruity esters are acceptable. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at low levels.
- Body: Low to medium
Original Gravity °P:
Final Gravity °P:
Style info provided entirely or in part by the Brewers Association 2021 beer style guidelines.
3 Ordinary Bitter Reviewed