Belgian and French Ales: Bière de Garde
Notes: Earthy and/or cellar-like aromas are acceptable.
- Color: Light amber to chestnut brown/red
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable. These beers are often bottle conditioned so slight yeast haze is acceptable.
- Malt Profile: These beers are characterized by a toasted malt aroma along with a slight malt sweetness and/or toasted malt ﬂavor.
- Hop Profile: Low to medium from noble-type hops
- Bitterness: Low to medium
- Fermentation: Fruity ester aromas are medium to high. Whereas fruity ester ﬂavors are low to medium. Diacetyl should not be present. Bière de Garde may have low levels of Brettanomyces yeast-derived ﬂavors that are slightly acidic, fruity, horsey, goaty and/or leather-like. Beers displaying more pronounced levels of Brettanomyces derived attributes are categorized as Brett Beers. Alcohol may be evident in higher strength beers.
- Body: Low to medium
Original Gravity °P:
Final Gravity °P:
Style info provided entirely or in part by the Brewers Association 2021 beer style guidelines.
7 Bière de Garde Reviewed